From Textus Receptus
|Strong's||Greek||Pronunciation||KJV 1611||KJV 1900||KJV 2016||Parts of speech||Case||Tense||Number||Gender||Person||Voice||Mood|
|976||ΒΊΒΛΟΣ||vi'-vlos||The booke||The book||The book||Noun||Nominative||-||Singular||Feminine||-||-||-|
|1078||γενέσεως||yen'-es-ee-ooce'||of the generation||of the generation||of the generation||Noun||Genitive||-||Singular||Feminine||-||-||-|
|2424||Ἰησοῦ||ee-ay-so-oo'||of Iesus||of Jesus||of Jesus||Noun||Genitive||-||Singular||Masculine||-||-||-|
|5207||υἱοῦ||hwee-oo'||the sonne||the son||the Son||Noun||Genitive||-||Singular||Masculine||-||-||-|
|1138||Δαβὶδ||dav-eeth'||of Dauid||of David||of David||Noun||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|5207||υἱοῦ||hwee-oo'||the sonne||the son||the Son||Noun||Genitive||-||Singular||Masculine||-||-||-|
|11||Ἀβραάμ||av-rah-arm'||of Abraham||of Abraham||of Abraham||Noun||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Matthew 1:1 is the opening verse of the first chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament. Since Matthew is traditionally placed as the first of the four Gospels, this verse commonly serves as the opening to the entire New Testament. It is a sentence without a verb and is more of a heading for what follows in verse 18.
Βίβλος is translated as ‘The’ book and not simply ‘Book’ due to the normal use of anarthrous nouns in titles. This negates the need for italics here in the article ‘the.’ Anarthrous nouns are generally translated into English with the indefinite article ("a, an"). There are some anarthrous nouns which are qualitative and are often translated without an article. "Anarthrous," in grammar, simply means without the article. In English we have both the definite article (‘the’) and the indefinite article (‘a’), but in Greek there is no indefinite article.
The ending of this noun, -os, tells us that it is nominative in case.
- 1) It is firstly used here as a book, or scroll (Matthew 1:1),
- 2) concerning the Pentateuch as the "book" of Moses in Mark 12:26,
- 3) regarding "the book of the words of Isaiah" that Jesus read from in Luke 3:4,
- 4) the "book of Psalms" in Luke 20:42 and also in Acts 1:20,
- 5) as "the prophets" in Acts 7:42,
- 6) as "the Book of Life" in Philippians 4:3, Revelation 3:5, 20:15
- 7) and of secular writings in Acts 19:19.
The English word Bible stems from the Greek Βίβλος. Interestingly the English word paper comes from papyrus. Because Beech wood tablets were a common writing material in Germanic societies before the development of paper, the Old English bōc and Old Norse bók both have the primary sense of “beech” but also a secondary sense of “book,” and it is from bōc that the modern word book derives. In modern German, the word for “book” is Buch, with Buche meaning “beech tree.” In the Swedish language, these words are the same, bok meaning both “beech tree” and “book.”
of the generation
γενέσεως of the generation, means to be generated or to be placed in time, where the origination of the eternal Christ's body occurred and the Word became flesh. Christ was not generated from man, but through Mary and from God, linking to verse 18. The genealogy mentioned is of Joseph, and not Jesus. Thus the New King James Version's translation is faulty having "The genealogy of Jesus Christ" because Christ had no genealogy except through His mother.
The exact phrase 'Βίβλος γενέσεως' (at times the book of the genealogy) is used in Genesis 2:4 and 5:1 in the so called Greek Septuagint. This is correct because it concerns God's creation and also to genealogies of man, whereas in Matthew 1:1, it is applied to the eternal, uncreated, Son of God, an thus is translated as generation. The LXX has:
- αὕτη ἡ βίβλος γενέσεως οὐρανοῦ καὶ γῆς ὅτε ἐγένετο ᾗ ἡμέρᾳ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν Genesis 2:4
- αὕτη ἡ βίβλος γενέσεως ἀνθρώπων ᾗ ἡμέρᾳ ἐποίησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν αδαμ κατ’ εἰκόνα θεοῦ ἐποίησεν αὐτόν. Genesis 5:1
In Hebrew the phrase "book of the genealogy" sepher toledoth (סֵפֶר תֹּולְדֹת) is frequent in Jewish writing. The other genealogy concerning the linage of the family of Jesus appears in Luke 3:23-38. This genealogical list here in Matthew is necessary to prove the linage and pedigree of Jesus Christ's family, and that being raised in the house of Joseph who was the "Son of David" and "Son of Abraham" He fulfills the requirements relating to the prophecies about the coming Messiah.
While some believe the phrase 'Βίβλος γενέσεως' to be merely a title for the first part of the gospel of Matthew (1-17) and not a title to the Gospel of Matthew, nor for the entire New Testament itself, it is most probably linked to verse 18, where Jesus is generated from God, rather than produced through men in the genealogy of verse 2-17. It must be noted that the generation of Jesus Christ, applies to Christ's entire life. Nowhere else in the New Testament does book refer to anything other than an entire work. So it is erroneous to conclude that it is only concerned with the listed genealogy.
Because Jeconiah was cursed, in no way can the linage of Joseph be part of the linage of Jesus, as many modern versions of the bible mistakenly claim by changing the English reading of "generation" into "genealogy" or "linage."
While the long genealogy of names may be of little interest to most modern readers, lineage and descent were of great importance in Jewish society of the time, and a family descent from David and Abraham was crucial to accepting Jesus as the Messiah. The names, at least in the first part of the genealogy, would have been well known to readers. The genealogy provides proof that the promise of mankind's future salvation made in Genesis 3:15 through the "Seed of the woman" is fulfilled in Jesus of Nazareth.
Matthew 1:1 has 'genesis' translated as generation (also translated as nature) never as birth, nor as genealogy, which is a separate and distinct word used in the Pastorals.
See Also Genealogy of Jesus
of Jesus Christ
Ἰησοῦ The Hebrew Yeshua means "the LORD is salvation."
Beza's 1598 has ȣ for οῦ in this and many other places. The οῦ has been retained above for ease of reading.
Χριστοῦ. Christ meaning - The Messiah, anointed one. The word anointed means to be placed into a position, like a king or a priest. A similar word is appointed.
the Son of David
The word son is capitalized here because the in Matthew 15:22, 20:30, 21:9, 22:42, etc. the KJV in the Pure Cambridge Edition capitalizes the word. Bible Protector claims that lower case “s” demotes Jesus from deity in these examples, but seems to have no issue with Matthew 1:1.
- Matthew 15:22 ...Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David...
- Matthew 20:30 ...Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou Son of David...
- Matthew 21:9 ...cried, saying, Hosanna to the Son of David...
- Matthew 22:42 ...They say unto him, The Son of David...
In earlier manuscripts, such as Codex Freerianus (Manuscript Washington, W 032), Δαβίδ is abbreviated to “DAD” with Nomina Sacra (a line across the top of these letters) at Matt. 12:23. A scribe working from such a manuscript when later seeking to spell this name out in greater detail, might spell it as, “Dabid” or “Daueid” or “Dauid.” It seems that in the tradition of the Byzantines they varied between such diverse spellings for phonetic reasons.
the Son of Abraham
υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. The "Son of Abraham" reveals that Christ is the promised Seed of the Abrahamic covenant. While the title "Son of David" was a common messianic title, "son of Abraham" was an expression that could refer to any Jew.
Some heretics assume that Jesus cannot be of the Seed of Abraham because He had no earthly father. But Jesus was clearly adopted by Joseph, the husband of Jesus' mother, Mary. So, while Jesus was not conceived by Joseph, he was the certainly considered son of Joseph. Joseph was a descendant of Abraham (see Matthew 1:2-16). In any case, Jesus was a physical descendant of Abraham because he was conceived of Mary. Mary, whose father was Eli, was a descendant of Abraham (Luke 3:23-38). The assumption that Abraham can only have descendants through males is simply mistaken. As can be seen in the case of Zelophehad:
- Numbers 26:33 And Zelophehad the son of Hepher had no sons, but daughters: and the names of the daughters of Zelophehad were Mahlah, and Noah, Hoglah, Milcah, and Tirzah.
- Numbers 27:1-11 Then came the daughters of Zelophehad, the son of Hepher, the son of Gilead, the son of Machir, the son of Manasseh, of the families of Manasseh the son of Joseph: and these are the names of his daughters; Mahlah, Noah, and Hoglah, and Milcah, and Tirzah. And they stood before Moses, and before Eleazar the priest, and before the princes and all the congregation, by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, saying, "Our father died in the wilderness, and he was not in the company of them that gathered themselves together against the Lord in the company of Korah; but died in his own sin, and had no sons. Why should the name of our father be done away from among his family, because he hath no son? Give unto us therefore a possession among the brethren of our father."
And Moses brought their cause before the Lord.
- And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, "The daughters of Zelophehad speak right: thou shalt surely give them a possession of an inheritance among their father's brethren; and thou shalt cause the inheritance of their father to pass unto them. And thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel, saying,
- If a man die, and have no son, then ye shall cause his inheritance to pass unto his daughter.
- And if he have no daughter, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his brethren.
- And if he have no brethren, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his father's brethren.
- And if his father have no brethren, then ye shall give his inheritance unto his kinsman that is next to him of his family, and he shall possess it: and it shall be unto the children of Israel a statute of judgment, as the Lord commanded Moses.
So, daughters as well as sons are the descendants of Abraham, and it is sufficient for Jesus that he was a son of Mary. The fact that from Genesis the bible clearly talked about the woman's seed, not the mans. Consider:
- Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
- Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, and to seeds, as of many; but as of one, and to thy seed, which is Christ.
Modern English Version
The MEV has son without the capital S.
Early Church Fathers
- Βίβλος, φησὶ, γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. Origen (Commentary of St. John’s Gospel, vol. 1, A.E. Brooke, p 6, 20)
- Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαβίδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ Eusebius of Caesarea (Demonstratio Evangelica, p337, 14, Eusebius Werke, Ivar A. Heikel)
- 1524 (Wolf Cephaleus. Printed in Strassburg)
- 1516 ΒΙΒΛΟΣ γενέσεως ΙΗΣΟΥ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΥ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ άβραάμ (Erasmus 1st Novum Instrumentum omne)
- 1519 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ άβραάμ (Erasmus 2nd Novum Testamentum omne)
- 1522 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ άβραάμ (Erasmus 3rd Novum Testamentum omne)
- 1527 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ άβραάμ. (Erasmus 4th Novum Testamentum omne)
- 1535 (Erasmus 5th Novum Testamentum omne)
Stephanus (Robert Estienne)
- 1546 ΒΙΒΛΟΣ γενέσεως ἱῦ χῦ υἱοῦ δαβίδ υἱοῦ άβραάμ. (Novum Testamentum Græce) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1549 (Novum Testamentum Græce. 2nd edition. Paris.)
- 1550 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ (Novum Testamentum Græce. 3rd edition. Paris. - Editio Regia)
- 1551 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ (Novum Testamentum Græce. 4th edition. Genevah)
- 1565 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Iησοῦ Χριστου, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Novum Testamentum, 1st folio edition. Geneva)
- 1565 (Beza Octavo 1st)
- 1567 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Iησοῦ Χριστου, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Beza Octavo 2nd)
- 1580 (Beza Octavo 3rd)
- 1582 (Novum Testamentum. 2nd folio edition. Geneva.)
- 1588 ΒI'BΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστου, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ (Novum Testamentum. 3rd folio edition. Geneva.)
- 1590 (Beza Octavo 4th)
- 1598 ΒI'BΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ (Novum Testamentum. 4th folio edition. Geneva.)
- 1604 (Beza Octavo 5th)
- 1599 ΒΊΒΛΟΣ γενέσεως ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ δαβὶδ, υἱοῦ ἀβραάμ. (The Nuremberg Polyglot, by Elias Hutter published in Nuremberg).
- 1624 ΒΊΒΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. Isaac Elzevir of House of Elzevir, Novum Testamentum Græce. Lugduni Batavorum [Leiden]: Ex officina Elzeviriana, 1624
- 1633 (Textus Receptus, Novum Testamentum Græce, Isaac Elzevir of House of Elzevir, Lugduni Batavorum [Leiden]: Ex officina Elzeviriana, 1633) (Elzevir) edited by Jeremias Hoelzlin, Professor of Greek at Leiden.
- 1641 (Elzevir 1641) (Elzevir)
- 1679 (Elzevir 1679) (Elzevir)
- Footnote Rec. Δαβίδ. [et sic passim].
- 1880 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (F. H. A. Scrivener , The New Testament in the Original Greek according to the Text followed in the Authorised Version - Cambridge University Press).
- 350 Βίβλος γενεσεως IY ΧY υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Aβρααμ (Codex Vaticanus) 1209 (B or 03) (von Soden δ1) - Vatican Library (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 360 Βιβλος γενεσεως IY ΧY ὑϊου ΔAΔ ὑϊου Ἀβρααμ (Codex Sinaiticus) (א or 01) (von Soden δ2) - British Library Leipzig University Saint Catherine's Monastery (See Also Nomina sacra) (Most probably a forgery)
- 400 - 500 Βίβλος γενέσεως IY ΧY υἱοῦ Δ[...]δ ὑϊου Aβρααμʼ (Codex Washingtonianus) (W or 032) (von Soden ε014) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 700 - 800 Βιβλος γενεσεως ΙΥ ΧΥ ΥΥ ΔΑΔ ΥΥ Αβρααμ· Codex Basilensis (Ee or 07) (von Soden ε55) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 900 - 1000 Βιβλος γενέσεως ΙΥ ΧΥ· ὑιου ΔΑΔ· ὑιου Ἀβραάμ· (Codex Cyprius (K or 017) (von Soden ε71) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1000 - 1100 Βίβλος γενέσεως ιυ χυ υἱοῦ δαδ͵ υἱοῦ ἀβραάμ· (Minuscule 652 (von Soden ε1095) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1000 - 1100 Βίβλος γενέσεως ἰυ χυ υἱοῦ δαδ υἱοῦ ἀβραάμ· (Minuscule 43 (8409) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1000 - 1100 Βίβλος γενέσεως ιυχυ υυ δαδ υυ ἀβραάμ· (Minuscule 65 (von Soden ε135) Harley MS 5776 (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1000 - 1100 Βιβλος γενεσεως ιυ χυ υιου δαδ υιου αβρααμ. (Minuscule 72 (von Soden ε110) Harley MS 5647 (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1100 - 1200 Βιβλος γενεσεως ιυ χυ· υἱου δαδ· υιου αβρααμ· (Minuscule 44 (von Soden ε239) Add MS 4949 (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1100 - 1200 Βιβλος γενεσεως ιυ χυ· υιου δαδ· υἱȣ* αβρααμ· (Minuscule 57 (von Soden δ255) MS. Gr. 9 (See Also Nomina sacra) * ȣ = οῦ
- 1033 Βίβλος γενέσεως ἰυ χυ· υιου δαδ· υιου αβρααμ· (Minuscule 504 (von Soden ε111) Add MS 17470) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1133 Βίβλος γενέσεως ιυ χυ· υιȣ δαδ· υιου ἀβραάμ· (Minuscule 1152, Ms. 129) (See Also Nomina sacra) * ȣ = οῦ
- 1300 - 1400 Bἱβλος γενέσεως ιυ χυ · υἱοῦ δαδ · υἱοῦ ἀβραάμ· (Minuscule 561 (von Soden ε1289) Ms. Hunter 476) (See Also Nomina sacra)
- 1707 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως IHΣΟΥ Χριστου, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (John Mill)
- 1734 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως ἰησοῦ χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ δαυίδ, υἱοῦ ἀβραάμ. (Bengel)
- 1751 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Wettstein)
- 1803 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριϛοῦ, υἱοῦ δαυίδ, υἱοῦ ἂβραάμ. (Christian Frederick Matthaei)
- 1809 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησȣ Χριϛȣ* υἱοῦ Δαβίδ υἱȣ Ἀβραάμ. (Johann Jakob Griesbach) * ȣ = οῦ
- 1830 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυίδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Scholz)
- 1831 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Lachmann)
- 1840 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Tittman)
- 1852 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ Theile
- 1855 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστου, υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Bloomfield)
- 1857 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ (Tregelles' Greek New Testament)
- 1863 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Alford)
- 1869 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Novum Testamentum Graece. editio octava critica maior Tischendorf) based on Codex Sinaiticus.
- 1872 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Wordsworth)
- 1881 ΒIBΛΟΣ γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβρααμ. (Westcott & Hort)
- 1904 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυεὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβρααμ. (Nestle)
- 1904 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαυῒδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Greek Orthodox (Greek New Testament of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople by B. Antoniades))
- 1905 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ, Δαυεὶδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβρααμ. (Weiss)
- 1913 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (von Soden)
Anglo Saxon Translations
- 990 her is on cneorisse-bóc hælendes cristes dauides suna. Abrahames suna. (Anglo-Saxon Gospels Manuscript 140, Corpus Christi College by Aelfric) Wessex Gospels
- 1200 Soðliche wel is to understanden þæt æfter matheus ge-rechednysse her is on cneornysse boc. hælendes cristes dauiðes suna. abrahames suna. (Anglo-Saxon Gospels Hatton Manuscript 38, Bodleian Library by unknown author)
- 1380 The book of the generacioun of ihesus crist; the sone of dauith, the sone of abraham, (Wyclif's Bible by John Wycliffe)
- 1395 The book of the generacioun of Jhesu Crist, the sone of Dauid, the sone of Abraham. (Wyclif's Bible by John Wycliffe)
- 1534 This is the boke of the generacion of Iesus Christ the sonne of Dauid, the sonne also of Abraham. (Tyndale Bible by William Tyndale)
- 1535 This is the boke of the generacion of Iesus Christ the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Coverdale Bible)
- 1539 (Great Bible First Edition - Miles Coverdale)
- 1540 Thys ys þe booke of the generacyon of Iesus Chryst, þe sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Great Bible Second Edition - Miles Coverdale)
- 1549 Thys is þe boke of þe generation of Iesus Christ þe sonne of dauyd, þe sonne also of Abraham. (Matthew's Bible - John Rogers)
- 1557 The Booke of the generation of Iesus Christe, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Geneva 1557) by William Whittingham
- 1560 THe boke of the generaciό of IESVS CHRIST, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham.
- 1568 This is the booke of the generation of Iesus Christ, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Bishop's Bible First Edition)
- 1572 This is the booke of the generation of Iesus Christ, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Bishop's Bible)
- 1582 The booke of the generation of IESVS Christ, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Rheims 1582)
- 1587 The booke of the generation of Iesvs Christ the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham (Geneva Bible) by William Whittingham
- 1599 The booke of the generation of Iesus Christ the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (Geneva Bible) by William Whittingham
- 1611 The booke of the generation of Iesus Christ, the sonne of Dauid, the sonne of Abraham. (King James Version)
- 1729 The History of the life of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (Mace New Testament)
- 1745 THE book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (Mr. Whiston's Primitive New Testament)
- 1762 (King James Version)
- 1769 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (King James Version - Benjamin Blayney)
- 1770 (Worsley Version by John Worsley)
- 1790 (Wesley Version by John Wesley)
- 1795 (A Translation of the New Testament from the Original Greek by Thomas Haweis)
- 1833 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (Webster Version - by Noah Webster)
- 1835 The History of Jesus Christ, Son of David, Son of Abraham. (Living Oracles by Alexander Campbell)
- 1849 THE RECORD of the generation of Jeshu the Meshicha, the son of David, son of Abraham. (Etheridge Translation by John Etheridge)
- 1850 (King James Version by Committee)
- 1851 THE book of the nativity of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, son of Abraham. (Murdock Translation)
- 1855 Calvin Bible by the Calvin Translation Society
- 1858 (The New Testament Translated from the Original Greek by Leicester Sawyer)
- 1865 A record of descent of Jesus Anointed, son of David, son of Abraham. (The Emphatic Diaglott by Benjamin Wilson)
- 1865 BOOK of the generation of Jesus Christ, son of David, son of Abraham. (The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ 1865 by American Bible Union)
- 1869 (Noyes Translation by George Noyes)
- 1873 THE book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (King James Version) by Frederick Scrivener)
- 1885 (Revised Version also called English Revised Version - Charles Ellicott editor)
- 1890 Book of the generation of Jesus Christ, Son of David, Son of Abraham. (Darby Version 1890 by John Darby)
- 1898 A roll of the birth of Jesus Christ, son of David, son of Abraham. (Young's Literal Translation by Robert Young)
- 1901 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (American Standard Version - Philip Schaff)
- 1902 The Lineage Roll of Jesus Christ,––Son of David, Son of Abraham. (The Emphasised Bible Rotherham Version)
- 1902 (Translation of the New Testament from the Original Greek by William Godbey)
- 1904 (The New Testament: Revised and Translated by Adolphus Worrell)
- 1904 (Twentieth Century New Testament by Ernest Malan and Mary Higgs)
- 1911 (Syrus Scofield)
- 1912 The Genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham. (Weymouth New Testament)
- 1918 (The New Testament Translated from the Sinaitic Manuscript by Henry Anderson)
- 1923 The ancestry of Jesus Christ, who was descended from David, who was descended from Abraham. (Edgar Goodspeed)
- 1982 (New King James Version) Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson.
- 1984 (New International Version)(NIV) Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.®
- 1995 (New American Standard Bible) NASB (©1995)
- 1999 (American King James Version)AKJV
- 2000 (King James 2000 Bible©)
- 2005 (Today’s New International Version)
- 2009 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)(HCSB) Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville Tennessee. All rights reserved.
- (21st Century King James Version) Copyright © 1994 by Deuel Enterprises, Inc.
- (Common English Bible) Copyright © 2011 by Common English Bible
- (GOD’S WORD Translation)(GW) Copyright © 1995 by God's Word to the Nations.
- (Contemporary English Version)(CEV) Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society
- (New Living Translation)(NLT) Holy Bible. New Living Translation copyright© 1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation.
- (Amplified Bible) Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
- (The Message) (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson
- (New International Reader's Version) (NIRV) Copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®.
- (Wycliffe New Testament)
Foreign Language Translations
See also Bible translations into Afrikaans
- 1933 (Ta Biblia Ta Logia - J. D. du Toit, E. E. van Rooyen, J. D. Kestell, H. C. M. Fourie, and BB Keet
- 1953 Die geslagsregister van Jesus Christus, die seun van Dawid, die seun van Abraham:
- 1982 Paraphrase - Die Lewende Bybel, Christelike Uitgewersmaatskappy (CUM)
- 1982 South African Bible Society - E. P. Groenewald, A. H. van Zyl, P. A. Verhoef, J. L. Helberg, and W. Kempen
- 1983 © Bybelgenootskap van Suid Afrika
- 2001 The Nuwe Wêreld-vertaling van die Heilige Skrif is an Afrikaans translation of the 1984 English translation of the Bible by the Watchtower Society.
- 2002 Die Boodskap
- 2002 DieBybel@Kinders.co.za - Gert Prinsloo, Phil Botha, Willem Boshoff, Hennie Stander, Dirk Human, Stephan Joubert, and Jan van der Watt.
- 2006 The Nuwe Lewende Vertaling (literally "New Living Translation")
- 2008 Bybel vir Almal - South African Bible Society, Bart Oberholzer, Bernard Combrink, Hermie van Zyl, Francois Tolmie, Christo van der Merwe, Rocco Hough en Elmine Roux.
- 2014 Direct Translation, South African Bible Society
- 2014 Afrikaans Standard Version, CUM Books
- Abrahamit i lindi Isaku; Isakut i lindi Jakobi; Jakobit i lindi Juda dhe vëllezërit e tij.
- Աբրահամ ծնաւ Իսահակը. Իսահակ ծնաւ Յակոբը. Յակոբ ծնաւ Յուդան ու անոր եղբայրները.
- 1671 Biblia Arabica. de propaganda fide. Arabic and Latin Bible printed in Rome by Abraham Ecchellensis and Louis Maracci
- كتاب ميلاد يسوع المسيح ابن داود ابن ابراهيم (Arabic Smith & Van Dyke)
- 1988 Arabic Life Application Bible (ALAB) Copyright © 1988 by Biblica
- 2009 Arabic Bible: Easy-to-Read Version (ERV-AR) Copyright © 2009 by World Bible Translation Center
- ܟܬܒܐ ܕܝܠܝܕܘܬܗ ܕܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ ܒܪܗ (Aramaic Peshitta)
- 1571 IESVS CHRIST Dauid-en semearen, Abrahamen semearen generationeco Liburuä.
- 1940 Родословието на Исуса Христа, син на Давида, син на Авраама. (Матей 1:1) (1940 Bulgarian Bible)
- Родословието на Исуса Христа, син на Давида, син на Авраама. (Матей 1:1) (Bulgarian Bible)
- 1860 ᎯᎠ ᎪᏪᎵ ᎧᏃᎮᎭ ᏧᏁᏢᏔᏅᏒ ᏥᏌ ᎦᎶᏁᏛ, ᏕᏫ ᎤᏪᏥ, ᎡᏆᎭᎻ ᎤᏪᏥ. Cherokee New Testament (CHR)
- 1 亚 伯 拉 罕 的 後 裔 ， 大 卫 的 子 孙 （ 後 裔 子 孙 原 文 都 作 儿 子 下 同 ） ， 耶 稣 基 督 的 家 谱 ： (馬 太 福 音 1:1) (Chinese Union Version (Simplified))
- 1 亞 伯 拉 罕 的 後 裔 ， 大 衛 的 子 孫 （ 後 裔 子 孫 原 文 都 作 兒 子 下 同 ） ， 耶 穌 基 督 的 家 譜 ： (馬 太 福 音 1:1) (Chinese Union Version (Traditional))
- 創1:1 起初， 上帝創造天地。 (Chinese King James Version)
- Livre de la généalogie de Jésus Christ, fils de David, fils d'Abraham: (French Darby)
- 1744 Le Livre de la Généalogie de Jésus-Christ, fils de David, fils d'Abraham. (Martin 1744)
- 1744 Livre généalogique de JÉSUS-CHRIST, fils de David, fils d'Abraham. (Ostervald 1744)
- 1864 (Augustin Crampon)
- 2006 (King James Française)
- 1545 Dies ist das Buch von der Geburt Jesu Christi, der da ist ein Sohn Davids, des Sohnes Abrahams. (Luther 1545)
- 1871 Buch des Geschlechts Jesu Christi, des Sohnes Davids, des Sohnes Abrahams. (Elberfelder 1871)
- 1912 Dies ist das Buch von der Geburt Jesu Christi, der da ist ein Sohn Davids, des Sohnes Abrahams. (Luther 1912)
- 1904 Βίβλος γενέσεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ Δαυῒδ, υἱοῦ Ἀβραάμ. (Greek Orthodox (B. Antoniades))
- ΒΙΒΛΟΣ τῆς γενεαλογίας τοῦ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ, υἱοῦ τοῦ Δαβίδ, υἱοῦ τοῦ Ἀβραάμ. Modern Greek (Trinitarian Bible Society)
- 1649 LIBRO della generazione di Gesù Cristo, figliuolo di Davide, figliuolo di Abrahamo. (Giovanni Diodati Bible 1649)
- 1927 Genealogia di Gesù Cristo figliuolo di Davide, figliuolo d’Abramo. (Riveduta Bible 1927)
- liber generationis Iesu Christi filii David filii Abraham Latin Vulgate
- 1527 Liber generationis Iesu Christ fili Dauid, fili Abraham. (Erasmus 1527)
- 1527 liber generationis Iesu Christi filii David filii Abraham (Erasmus Vulgate 1527)
- 1565 (Beza)
- 1598 (Beza)
- 1868 (Formal translation based on the Greek 'Received Text': Trinitarian Bible Society)
- 1930 Jesu Kristi, Davids sønns, Abrahams sønns ættetavle:
- 1996 Dispela em i buk bilong ol man i wanlain bilong Jisas Kraist. Em i pikinini man bilong Devit, na Devit em i pikinini man bilong Ebraham. (Pidgin King Jems)
- 1833 (Potawatomi Matthew and Acts)
- 1551 (Slavic-Romanian Gospel)
- 1561 (Coresi's Gospel)
- 1570 (The Braşov Psalm Book) Psalms Only
- 1582 (Palia from Orăştie)
- 1648 (The New Testament of Alba Iulia)
- 1688 (Biblia de la Bucureşti - Bucharest Bible)
- 1911 (Nitzulescu - British and Foreign Bible Society)
- 1921 (Cornilescu)
- 1924 (Cornilescu - British and Foreign Bible Society)
- 1989 (Gute Botschaft Verlag)
- 2010 CARTIA naşterii lui Isus Cristos, fiul lui David, fiul lui Avraam. (Biblia Traducerea Fidela în limba româna - Textus Receptus Based)
- 2013 (Biblia Traducerea Fidela în limba română - based upon the Textus Receptus / King James Version)
- 2014 CARTIA naşterii lui Isus Cristos, fiul lui David, fiul lui Avraam. (Biblia Traducerea Fidela în limba română - based upon the Textus Receptus / King James Version)
- 2014 (Cornilescu 90th anniversary definitive edition - British and Foreign Bible Society)
- 1876 1 - Родословие Иисуса Христа, Сына Давидова, Сына Авраамова. Russian Synodal Version
- Phonetically: Rodoslovie Iisusa Hrista, Syna Davidova, Syna Avraamova.
See Also Bible translations (Spanish)
- 1543 (Francisco de Enzinas New Testament)
- 1556 (Juan Perez de Pineda New Testament and book of Psalms)
- 1569 Libro de la generación de Jesús, el Cristo, hijo de David, hijo de Abraham. (Sagradas Escrituras)
- 1814 Valera Revision
- 1817 Valera Revision
- 1831 Valera Revision
- 1858 LIBRO de la generacion de Jesu-Cristo, hijo de David, hijo de Abraham. Reina Valera
- 1862 Valera Revision
- 1865 Valera Revision (American Bible Society Revisión)
- 1869 Valera Revision
- 1909 (Reina-Valera) Antigua Spanish Bible
- 1960 Libro de la genealogía de Jesucristo, hijo de David, hijo de Abraham. Versión Reina-Valera (Eugene Nida )
- 1987 Translation from English. Publisher: Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society.
- 1994 Nuevo Testamento versión Recobro
- 1997 (La Biblia de las Américas) (©1997)
- 1999 Nueva Versión Internacional (NVI)
- 2002 EL LIBRO de la generación de Jesu Cristo, hijo de David, hijo de Abraham. (1602 Purificada)
- 2009 Santa Biblia: Reina-Valera
- 1 El libro de la generación de Jesu cristo, hijo de David, hijo de Abraham. (Reina Valera Gómez)
- Yesu Kristo alikuwa mzawa wa Daudi, mzawa wa Abrahamu. Hii ndiyo orodha ya ukoo wake:
- 1917 Detta är Jesu Kristi, Davids sons, Abrahams sons, släkttavla. (Swedish - Svenska 1917)
- 1905 Ang aklat ng lahi ni Jesucristo, na anak ni David, na anak ni Abraham. (Ang Dating Biblia 1905)
- 1878 Yisu Masih, ibn Daud, ibn i Abiraham, ka nasabnama. (Hindustani Roman Script)
- 1938 سُوع مسِیح اِبنِ داؤُد اِبنِ ابرہا م کا نسب نامہ۔ (Urdu Revised Version. British and Foreign Bible Society, 1938)
- 2016 سُوع مسِیح اِبنِ داؤُد اِبنِ ابرہا م کا نسب نامہ۔ (Urdu Bible)
- 1934 Gia phổ Đức Chúa Jêsus Christ, con cháu Đa-vít và con cháu A�p-ra-ham. (Ma-thi-ô 1:1 Vietnamese Bible) (VIET)
- 1567 (William Salesbury, printed in 1567 by Humphrey Toy)
- 1588 (William Morgan)
- 1620 Llyfr cenhedliad Iesu Grist, fab Dafydd, fab Abraham. (William Morgan)
- 1988 (New Welsh Bible)
- 2011 (beibl.net 2011 by Arfon Jones)
- Abbott's Illustrated New Testament
- Adam Clarke Commentary
- Henry Alford's Greek
- Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible
- Calvin's Commentary on the Bible
- Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges
- Justin Edwards' Family Bible New Testament
- John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible
- Geneva Study Bible
- Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary
- Heinrich Meyer's Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament
- Johann Albrecht Bengel's Gnomon of the New Testament
- Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible
- John Lightfoot's Commentary on the Gospels
- John Trapp Complete Commentary
- The Popular Commentary by Paul E. Kretzmann
- Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Holy Bible
- People's New Testament
- Robertson's Word Pictures in the New Testament
- Thomas Coke Commentary on the Holy Bible
- The Fourfold Gospel
- Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
- Vincent's Word Studies
- Expository Notes with Pratical Observations on the New Testament
- Wesley's Explanatory Notes
- F.B. Meyer's 'Through the Bible' Commentary Verses 1-17
- John Broadus' Commentary on Matthew Verses 1-17
- James Gray's Concise Bible Commentary Verses 1-17
- Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Bible Verses 1-17
- Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible Verses 1-17
- John Dummelow's Commentary on the Bible Verses 1-25
- Darby's Synopsis of the Whole Bible Verses 1-25
- F. B. Hole's Old and New Testament Commentary Verses 1-25
- Arno Gaebelein's Annotated Bible Verses 1-25
- Ironside's Notes on Selected Books Verses 1-25
- L. M. Grant's Commentary on the Bible Verses 1-25
- Sermon Bible Commentary Verse 1
- The Pulpit Commentaries Verses 1-25
- Matthew 1:1 Timeline
- Apollonius' Corollary
- Curetonian Gospels
- Treasury of Scripture Knowledge Matthew 1:1
- Textus Receptus Bibles, Matthew 1:1
- Treasury of Scripture Knowledge Matthew 1:1
- KJV Asia The Generation of Jesus Christ by KJV Asia
- Wikipedia Article on Matthew 1:1
- Bible Hub Matthew 1:1
- King James Bible Online Matthew 1:1
See Also: Old Testament