From Textus Receptus
- Abraham Elzevir and his nephew Bonaventure printed a version of the Textus Receptus origininating the term "Textus Receptus" for the first time.
- June 22 – The Roman Catholic church forces Galileo Galilei to recant his heliocentric view of the solar system: Eppur si muove (Italian).
- In Ethiopia, the Emperor Fasilides expels the Jesuit missionaries.
- A professorship in Arabic studies is founded at Cambridge University.
- June 19 – Philipp van Limborch, Dutch Protestant theologian (d. 1712)
- July 1 – Johann Heinrich Heidegger, Swiss theologian (d. 1698)
- August 5 – King James Version translator Archbishop George Abbot, Archbishop of Canterbury died on October 19. (b. 1562)