From Textus Receptus
See Also: Old Testament
- 1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
- 4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
- 5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
- 7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.
- 10 It was Mary Magdalene and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
- 12 Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.
- 13 And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
- 15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
- 17 And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad?
- 18 And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days?
- 19 And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Jesus of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people:
- 20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.
- 21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done.
- 22 Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulchre;
- 23 And when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.
- 24 And certain of them which were with us went to the sepulchre, and found it even so as the women had said: but him they saw not.
- 27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
- 28 And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further.
- 29 But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward |evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them.
- 30 And it came to pass, as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, |and blessed it, and brake, and gave to them.
- 32 And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
- 33 And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
- 35 And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.
- 36 And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
- 39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
- 44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
- 46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
- 47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
- 49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.